Thursday, April 11, 2013

Review: But Ira Said


But Ira Said
 I can predict question papers.

There, I have your attention now. It’s true, I can. My name is Ira Bhatt and I’ve just told you my biggest secret. To be honest, it’s not much of a secret any more. It all started when I sat for an exam once, without studying for it, and got full marks. I wish I could say I’m a prodigy, but I’m not. I’ve just got superpowers.

That’s like the best thing ever. Not. Throw in a gang of friends desperate for help and the evil Five Star chocolate addict who heads the tuition centre, and it’s the perfect set-up for one disaster after the other.

Delicious, hilarious, and uber cool, But Ira Said is the story of a girl everyone would want to be – or would they?

Source: Publisher for review (Thanks HarperCollins!)

Links

My Thoughts:


The blurb for this book sparked my curiosity and I couldn't stop myself from requesting this book.

Being able to predict question papers? Thats a superpower I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t mind having . Oh the amount of time I spent fantasising about having this superpower ! What a coincidence that I got this book JUST before my exams ,eh?

But Ira said is a fun and short novel that’s told in a unique Indian style . It’s been a long time since I’ve read a book written by an Indian author and it’s nice to see that some books are being written for the youth.

I loved the whole feel of the novel. The ridiculous characters, interesting concept , the mocking of the tuition centres and the whole unique style of this novel made it a fun read!

The thing is , the slang and the whole ridiculousness of the characters couldn’t actually draw away from the fact that I couldn’t connect or care about the main character and her “friends” and I use the word friends very loosely. Towards the end the book dragged a little as well and became a little preachy towards the end as well but it did manage to get it’s point across.

The concept had a lot of potential and I guess I was a little disappointed with the direction in which the story progressed.

Overall, this was a fun one time read that made me want to get my hands on some Anuja Chauhan real quick. I would borrow this one just because of the concept and the quirky characters. Just don't have very high hopes on this one and you'll enjoy yourself.

My Rating
 3 /5

Needs work but enjoyable.


6 comments:

  1. The summary got me interested as well but it's sad to hear that it didn't reach your expectations.

    - Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. That synopsis definitely grabs my attention, too. Sorry it didn't live up to expectations, but I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly can't remember the last time I read a book by an Indian author and now I feel SO bad! The synopsis does grab your attention, but I'm sorry the story was lacking in some ways. I'm all about the emotional connections so I don't know how well this would work for me.
    great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really fun! I often have problem enjoying a lot of slang in books though. Aside from Blood Red Road it just often irritates me. Especially when the author tries to hard to make them sound like teenagers. Regardless it sounds like a book I'd like for quick mindless read :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the concept of this book would grab my attention too. I'm sorry that you weren't able to connect with the characters though or didn't like the direction the book went in. But thanks for putting it on my radar! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am intrigued.I haven't read any of this kind of stories, but I would like to.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and your blog link(if you have one).I LOVE comments!! I read all the comments on my blog and will try to pay a visit to your blog :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...