Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Between the Sea and the Sky


Between the Sea and Sky

 Blurb:
For as long as Esmerine can remember, she has longed to join her older sister, Dosinia, as a siren--the highest calling a mermaid can have. When Dosinia runs away to the mainland, Esmerine is sent to retrieve her. Using magic to transform her tail into legs, she makes her way unsteadily to the capital city. There she comes upon a friend she hasn't seen since childhood--a dashing young man named Alandare, who belongs to a winged race of people. As Esmerine and Alandare band together to search for Dosinia, they rekindle a friendship . . . and ignite the emotions for a love so great, it cannot be bound by sea, land, or air.

Source:ARC via Netgalley (Thanks to Bloomsbury!)
Cover: I love this cover!


My Thoughts:
 This book started off pretty well but after some time I had to literally force myself to read it.I think the MAJOR problem in this book was the pacing.The pacing was a little too slow but after  I reached around 63% of it the pacing became much better and I finished it in one day FLAT!

In this book,the world is very different.Everyone knows about mermaids,sirens,fairies and Fandarsee (the people who can fly).When Esmerine's sister disappears ,Esmerine is overcome with worry and leaves the comfort of her home in  search of news of her sister. Esmerine has always been curious about the people on land and she takes this opportunity to meet her childhood friend and whet her curiosity.

The characters were well built and nice but for some reason I just couldn't connect with them.I liked Esmerine though.

One thing I really liked about this book was the interaction between Esmerine and Alan's father.It was emotional and for some reason I really liked Alander's father.He was harsh but nice at the same time.I also liked Alan's stepmother.She was understanding and tried very hard to make Esmerine comfortable.

One thing's for sure this book was different and that is the reason why I can't rate it 2 stars is because even though at some parts I wanted to drop this book and read something better the story and the writing style pulled me in.If you're looking for something different or have the patience to read a good story which is slow paced.This book is for you.

Once again the "idea" was so good and had so much potential.I guess I was just disappointed when the idea didn't live upto my expectations.

My Rating:
2.5/5

Could have been so much better!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't heard great things about this one... :( Too bad, because it sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the 2 mermaid/siren books that I have read that I actually enjoyed. The pacing was definitely slow but once it picked up, I really enjoyed the book. This book doesn't seem to be on a lot of peoples radars, but I wish it were. I would love to get other peoples thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have yet to read this book...lets see what happens:)

    Great review

    Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and your blog link(if you have one).I LOVE comments!! I read all the comments on my blog and will try to pay a visit to your blog :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...