Friday, June 24, 2011

Review:Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini


Starcrossed (Starcrossed #1)
by Josephine Angelini
Synopsis: How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.

Source: Netgalley and HarperTeen
Note:Younger Readers  cautioned due to some instances of sensuality (what does this mean?).

My thoughts: Let me start off by saying that I had very high expectations of this book and that I was very disappointed when this book did not live upto my expectations.Let me start off with the positives....

 What I liked: Josephine Angelini's writing style.I loved how the book was written.She made the book worth my time.I also liked the "idea" behind the story.I also loved Claire,she was real and she made me laugh.
I loved the big bad Delos family.It's nice to see glimpses of big happy  families in a book.(It's usually a very tense environment).I also found the fact that there wasn't a love triangle in the book refreshing!
Oh,I forgot Lucas is ....well.....just as I imagined Paris to be.
What I didn't like:
 Helen.The main character's self-esteem is so LOW, even though she's drop dead gorgeous.Everybody does not hate you Helen.Please get that through your head.
I could  have gotten over the fact that the main character  was not pretty great but couldn't due to problem number two:The story .As I said I liked the "idea" but the story lacked that spark or unputtdownable quality that The Percy Jackson series did(another book based on Greek mythology).The idea had so much POTENTIAL.I just felt that the story fell short of it's potential.
Sometimes,I just lost track of which distant relative they were talking about, because there were so many of them!
To sum it up: This book did remind me of Twilight and Lucas was definitely swoon worthy.
The writing style is good but the story is quite predictable.I thinks things will become VERY interesting in the second book,Dreamless.

My Rating:
.5
(2.5 stars)

External Links:People who Really liked this book(here)



8 comments:

  1. It has a beautiful cover, I actually really liked the book but it IS a little bit twilight-ish and you´re totally right Lucas is just wow xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this book!
    But I must say that your review make me uneasy... Hehehe
    I think I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of the story too (I'm such a fan of Greek myths reimagined) but I'd probably have a bit of a problem with that too. Maybe I'll just have to read it when I'm in a really good mood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting ti read this one, but I'm now having second thoughts. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No love triangle?! YAY! I've heard some really great things about this book, so it's nice to see the opposite side for a balanced perspective. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sad to hear you didn't like this books as much. I actually loved it! It's one of my favorite series. But it's always nice to hear both sides though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I honestly had high hopes for this book when I came across it but unfortunately, reading it was a bit of a disappointment.. I agree with you 'cause it does remind me of Twilight a lot too.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and your blog link(if you have one).I LOVE comments!! I read all the comments on my blog and will try to pay a visit to your blog :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...